The girl in the story works as a graphic artist; she had experiences where her character was not the type of black person that her clients were looking for. At first the girl didn’t understand, until her clients explicitly said they wanted the Black woman she was drawing to look more “European.”
Which demonstrate the Black girl/Black women stereotypes
Foreigner’s cultural mistakes in UAE
- Beach clothes are very exposing
- Some teachers never read emails only after few days
- When we communicate with some teachers they either look away or be busy and listen at the same time ,which is considered rude reckless
- Pointing at people with their foot
Emiratis cultural misunderstanding when they travel
- Interrupting a meeting and ask to talk for few mints
- Different ways to say hi can be easily mistaken ( hand shake, cheek kiss, bow)
- Asking a lot of personal questions
- Handing money to someone directly , can some time be an indication of bad luck
Robo guilt – ancient
In this story (squeaky) was an old dusty robot and (Robo top) was the strongest robot, they both went to compete in a race. Robo top was sneaking and destroying everyone’s part before the day of the race, accept squeaky. Although Robo top didn’t fully charge for the race he saw squeaky as an easy target. Robo top was trapping squeaky during the race until one of squeak’s tires were rolled to the finish line and he won.
This story shows that squeaky was an ancient robot even when he was getting trapped in the race track.
Alvis shame- honor
Alvis was a little boy who loved to eat nothing but soup. His family was ashamed of him, thus they were hiding him from people. But at the end he asked his grandmother what food she likes she said that she also like only soup.
In this story the parents felt ashamed about their child only eating soup, but the grandmother also only eat soup which is the symbol of honor.
Gruffalo and the mouse power – fear
This is a story of a mouse that was taking a walk in the woods and faced several dangerous animals. Each of the snake fox and owl wanted to eat the mouse, but the mouse said that he have friends to eat with, which are hybrid half grizzly and half buffalo. The two walked through to show who is the scariest animal, then all of the animals got scared and the mouse thratned to eat the grufflo but he flees.
This shows the power of the small mouse and the fear of other animals
Power distance (PDI)
Power distance clearly implies that when everyone is unique so they are all unequal. Powers are defined differently in which how much people’s ideas and behavior can influence others. In the United Arab Emirates power distance reached up to 90, that means less powerful members and organizations are accepting that Society’s power that are authorized by leaders.
Individualism and collectivism (IDV)
According to Conor Neill (2012), Individualism is individuals included into groups, and their ties tend to be loose, in other words, they tend to look after their self. They are usually from an extended families that protect them and it cost nothing in return but absolute loyalty. Individualist tend to live their life as it fits to them, they take their own judgment, an example of that families in the United States of America scored the highest score of 91.
In the collectivist society, people are more likely to look after a group of people that they belong to. They tend to sacrifice a lot of things for the sake of doing good for others in other words they call it “grater good” Craig Bliddle (2012).
Uncertainty avoidance (UAI)
Uncertainty avoidance is how people deal with the future whether they want it knows or not, or should they try to build a different vision of it or just let it happen. In the UAE, the uncertainty score reached up about 80, unlike the United States that scored a lower number of forty six. There is a fair level of accepting in the USA, in which they welcome the idea of change in different verities, for example, technology, business, and food.
Masculinity vs. femininity (MAS)
Feminist is where the community do not appreciate the idea of women taking men’s positions. Whereas masculinity means the distribution of roles within a job or emotional role according to their gender. An example on that, the Emirate pilot that went on a spree to defend her country from those who attacked. In the UAE, they accept the idea of women taking men’s job in order to get the job done, in other words they all have the same value.
Long term orientation vs. short term orientation (LTO)
Long term society tends to deal with things more realistically in their savings, and they accept change. Whereas short-term orientation encourages the past and present, such as, traditions, nationality. The United States scores 26 on the low dimension reflected by:
- The check whether of not the information is true
- Business measured performance as short term basis
Indulgence vs. restraint (IND)
In an Indulgence society they allow people to enjoy life and have fun. Restraint based culture more likely to Self restraint.
Biddle, C. (2015). Individualism vs. Collectivism: Our Future, Our Choice. Retrieved September 17, 2015, from the objective standard: https://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2012-spring/individualism-collectivism/
hofstede, g. (n.d.). Strategy-Culture-change. Retrieved September 17, 2015, from geert-hofstede: http://geert-hofstede.com/united-states.html
Neill, C. (2012, June 7). GEERT HOFSTEDE: THE 6 DIMENSIONS OF NATIONAL CULTURE. Retrieved September 17, 2015, from conorneill: http://conorneill.com/2012/06/07/geert-hofstede-the-6-dimensions-of-national-culture/
Both are democratic e.g. military
Both are democratic
Individually depending on their self
If you complained and say what is in your mind you will get what you need
think of group / they are part of a group
“ The squeaky wheel gets the grease “
In other words “if you want to survive stick your head down and be part of a group”
easy going, and it is ok to take a risk
Japan has the highest rates of natural disaster / everything is planed
E.g. More house husband in other words “a home stay dad” who basically take care of the children.
In one of largest corporations in Japan there are two female board members in a company named “Sony”
The average a person in the USA has debts
The average person in Japan has a large amount of savings
More likely to indulge
e.g. fast food , and resaving something from the internet the next day
Do not stick out and have more fun “ it should be as a group”
Self restraint in other words “holding yourself back on purpose for the good of the long term or the group”
- In Paris people wear suits and ties at their work place
- In Japan it is important to build friendship before starting to do businesses, but it is not the same case in America
- Gatherings means expensive gifts, but in some other countries it is all about building friendship
- In Hong Kong they commit to doing everything on time
- In America they write months before days so the women did not realize that because in Europe a day comes first.
- In Chinese its bad to wipe the face with a towel
- Way of living e.g. apartment, electricity
- Different Food
- Different ways of disposing garbage
- According to the group people are not friendly in USA people they talk less with each other, calling police on you when u get to someone’s house, because of the large crime rate in America they will end up calling the FBI on anything suspicious especially if you are walking with black skin in a white neighborhood e.g. Philadelphia
- in Sudan people are willing to help you if you got lost
- Filed complain against the boys because they felt threatened as they walk in a group e.g. people think they might be related to gangs